Hampi Virupaksha Temple Info

Hampi Virupaksha Swamy Temple is located at a distance of 350 km from Bangalore and 75 km from Ballari in the state of Karnataka. Is in the distance. Lord Shiva is honoured in Hampi’s Virupaksha Temple. Virupaksha Temple is the oldest and main temple in Hampi. It is one of India’s oldest temples. And a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hampi is also known as Pampa Kshetra, Kishkinda Kshetra and Bhaskara Kshetra.

Hampi Virupaksha

History

The Virupaksha Temple is located at the western end of Hampi Street. The Virupaksha Temple welcomes guests with a 50-meter-high east wind tower. The main deity in the temple is Virupaksha (Parameswadu). Pampadevi Temple and Bhubaneswari Devi Temple are connected to the main temple. The temple has a rich history dating back to the 7th century. It is known from the Sheila inscriptions that this Virupaksha temple existed before the Vijayanagara Empire. Historians estimate it to be from the 10th-12th centuries. According to historical sources, the main temple was altered by the Chalukyas and Hoysalas, but the main temple was built by the Vijayanagara kings. After the fall of the Vijayanagara kings, the city of Hampi was destroyed by invasions in the 16th century. However, according to Virupaksha-Pampa, the invasion of 1565 did not take place. Incense offerings to God in the Virupaksha temple continued uninterrupted. The roofs of the temple were restored to the eastern and northern towers in the early 19th century.

Description of Virupaksha Temple

The temple has 3 walls. The two chambers in the eastern dome, which is 50 meters high with 9 chambers, are built of stone. The remaining 7 compartments are built of brick.

Facing east, the Virupakshalayam has an eleven storey high main royal dome. There are many sculptures of men, women and animals on this tower. Inside the gate there is a three-headed nandi on one side and a small nandi on the other three. Opposite these is another tower. This second dome is smaller than the first. This is called the royal tower. It is also known as the Rayala Gopuram as it was built by Sri Krishna Devarayala. This is the second courtyard after the gate. In the middle of this – the porch, followed by the sanctum sanctorum. There are other deities sub temples in the verandas around the sanctum sanctorum. They are temples of deities like Pataleshwara, Mukti Narasimha and Sri Venkateswara.

Virupaksha Swami has another name for them called Pampapati. The Tungabhadra of today is what was formerly known as the Sender. Trikala pujas are performed in this temple. The precinct has a lamppost, a flagpole, and a four-legged pavilion. Then there is the porch. An inscription in ancient Telugu is engraved on both sides of the facade next to the aisle. The faade is decorated with many pillars and beautiful sculptures on them. The roof is plastered with lime and painted with colorful images of strange animals like tigers. Most of the pictures have faded a lot over time but there are still some left. There is no access to the sanctum sanctorum from the faade. To them the furious Swami. On the short side of the sanctum sanctorum, devotees go to Swami Darshan following the rule not to go opposite There is a staircase. There are two rooms on either side of the sanctuary. It has Swami’s festival-idols. At a certain height to the right of the sanctum sanctorum is a portrait of the Swami with their gold-encrusted crown. This original crown is Sri Krishnadevarayala. They did. The crown is currently in the public treasury. It is worn by the Swami during ceremonial occasions.

There is a stairway to the back of the sanctuary. There was a dark room to the right of the ten steps. There was a hole 7 feet high on the east side of that room. Light came from it and fell on the opposite wall and the shadow of the royal dome outside was very clearly visible upside down. If a white cloth is blocked in front of it, the reflection of the dome will also be seen on it. Everyone finds this very strange. What is coming there is not the sun’s rays, only the light. This strange light only lasts as long. This is a must see for everyone.

Here in Virupakshalayam a small stream of water from the river Tungabhadra enters the temple and supplies water to the temple kitchen and exits through the outer wall.

There is an idol of Ganapati near the Virupaksha Temple. The statue of Gaganapati is 15 feet high and has pebble-like buds on the top of the statue. It is also known as Shanagalarai Ganapati. Nearby is another statue, 10 feet high, with very small boulders. It is also known as Avalarai Ganapati. There are many small temples around this city.

This place is known as Kishkinda, where Sugriva lived in the Ramayana, where Ramachandramurti met Sugriva, who lived in a cave here to escape from his brother Vali. It is said that the temple of Anjaneya, Anjanidevi and the saffron caves were located here. If you go out through the gate behind the sanctum sanctorum, there is a monastery of Sri Vidyaranyaswamy. This Vidyaranyaswamy ‘was the architect of the Vijayanagara Empire. Many temples are located on a hillock next to the Virupaksha Temple.

Hemakutam

Going from the Rajagopuram side, it looks like a fort gate. The gate to the same glacier. The trinity temples in this glacier are a pyramid shaped stone structure. No idol or Shivalinga can be seen in any temple.

Kodandaramalayam

In front of the Kodandaramalayam, the river is called Chakratirtha. Hence it is called Chakratirtha. The temple has a faade, a flagpole and a sanctum sanctorum. The idols of Sita, Rama and Lakshmana are carved on the same stone. A little further on from this temple there is a small temple at the turn of the hill. In front of it, there is a sculpture of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmidevi. The sanctum sanctorum has beautiful small idols of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. From here, Achyuta Ramalayam is located on a wide expanse between two hills. Behind this temple is our Tanga mountain. The Matanga mountain is also visible from the Hampi Bazaar. On it is the Veerabhadra Temple. If you walk a short distance from the front of the Achyuta Rayala Temple, you will see a large mound on the left.

Vithala Temple

The temple is one of the most important architectural monuments of Vijayanagar. Vithal means the form of Lord Krishna. It was the largest temple of all time. It was built by the Second Devarayas between the years 1422-1446. After that AD. The temple was expanded in 1513 during the reign of Sri Krishnadevaraya. The temple is 500 feet long and 310 feet wide with a spacious courtyard with three domed entrances. AD During the period 1516-1517, a hundred pillared pavilion was erected by the scribes to commemorate his victory over King Kalinga Gajapati in the southwest corner of Pradhana Laya.

There are about 6 pavilions adjoining the sanctum sanctorum, separate in the temple premises. The monolithic pillars in the assembly hall of the temple and the sculptures in it are most magnificent. There are four pillars on each side of each pillar. One of them has 56 pillars in the pavilion of musical pillars. It is a privilege to hear the saptasvaras if you cross these pillars.

Sheila Ratham

This monolithic chariot is located on the eastern side of the Vithala temple complex. What is special about this chariot is that it has moving wheels.

Pataleshwara Temple

Pataleshwar Temple is also known as the Pataleshwar Temple as the main entrance is below ground level. Its front door is somewhat different. The gate is in the middle of the square. Above is the flagpole in front of the missing dome. In front of it are pavilions and surrounding temples. All these are Shiva temples. It is also in ruins. Shiva lingams and Nandi idols are lying here and there. There is not much sculpture in this temple. All are common pillars. Depending on this style, it seems to have preceded the construction of the Vijayanagara Empire. During the monsoon season, the temple is completely flooded.

Temple of Lord Krishna

AD In 1515, King Kalinga defeated King Gajapati and brought a stone idol of Balakrishna and built a temple to Lord Krishna here. The temple is built in the panchayat style. There are inscriptions in Telugu and Sanskrit on the front door. The temple has two walls. The first courtyard has a front porch, space, furniture, kitchen and other sub-temple. The stone pillars in the front pavilion are adorned with sculptures, on which are carved scenes of Sri Krishnalila. There is a room next to the front porch. The temple’s walls are covered in inscriptions. There is no idol in the sanctum sanctorum. It is preserved in the Madras Museum. There is a gate to go from the first campus to the second campus. There are no buildings on this second campus. Scattered are sculptures of ruins, lying. This second retaining wall extends from the back of the temple to the entrance on the south side.


Related Posts